At school our teachers gave us quirky ways to remember how to spell difficult words. Even at Polytechnic spelling was drilled into us. My typing tutor failed me on a typing test once because I kept misspelling the work stationery; I’ve never forgotten it since she gave me the first hint below.
- You find Envelopes in the stationery cupboard
- Two S‘s because you’ll always have a second helping of dessert
- It’s necessary to have one Collar and two Sleeves
- In twin accommodation there are two Cots with two Mattresses
- Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move
- Stalagmites and stalactites? Tights fall down and mites run up your leg
- Principle or Principal – the Principal can be your pal
- It’s usually i before e except after c, but I think this a weird rule!
So why do shops still put out signs that say “Buy one & recieve the second one for half price”. However, on a positive note my neice foned me to say she’d recieved a aprin, a stationary riting set, and a loveli book on chocalit deserts four her burthday.